Friday, May 25, 2012

Metal fan




No not my Facebook settings. I love the way metal chains, focals, spacers, and beads drape and jingle. Sometimes I’m in a Steampunk mood and sometimes it’s metal hummingbirds. At the moment I’m in a bronze mood. What is the difference between bronze and brass? For humongous info, check out a web site link Ask Yahoo: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060803230342AAEHfdg. Personally, it’s a matter of hardness and color, really. Bronze is an alloy of copper and tin, usually in an 80/20 proportion. Brass, however, is copper mixed with zinc about 60/40. Brass is much softer than bronze and is therefore easier to twist and shape, for example in opening and closing jump rings. But for a focal piece where I want the shape to remain the same forever, I would probably use bronze. The photo above is copied from a great site called NordicRooms, http://www.nordicrooms.net/bbc/. Bronze is also more golden, while brass has a darker, slightly greenish tone. What metals do you favor?

No comments:

Post a Comment